Reflecting over 2016

Happy new year guys,
I know it has been months, so if you don't know who I am, my name is Rachel Burman, I am a small blogger/Youtuber and I turned 17 today! Happy birthday to me!

One year ago - give or take a few days - I wrote my first blog post on this blog, (you can find the link here!) In that post I came up with 10 resolutions I wanted to complete over 2016, so, how well did I do?

1. The 50 book challenge.
Hahahaha, yeah, no. I read 20 books over the course of 2016, 8 of which were repeats. Over 2017 I am going to aim for 20 or higher!

2. Make sure I am healthy mentally and physically
Let's repress this one and pretend it never happened.
On a serious note, this is the reason why I was MIA most of 2016, my mental health dropped so much and I couldn't find the inspiration to turn on the camera, the past few months I have been feeling slightly better, I have a job, I made new friends, I started my A-levels, but I still am not in a very good place. This year I am not going to pretend that I am fine and repress my problems, but I am going to put myself first.

3. Upload a video and blog post once a week
I don't know how I was going to do this with my GCSEs, also read above.

4. One glass of water and piece of fruit per day
Yeah, right.

5. Talk to more people
Actually, I managed to do this one. I mean I am still incredibly socially anxious, but over the past year, I have made so many more friends, and I also work at LUSH, so that speaks for itself!

6. Try stand-up/improv
This one I didn't complete, mainly because my interests changed and I just didn't have time. I still love stand-up comedy but I don't think I want to go into it!

7. Laugh more
Yeah, I suppose. I don't really laugh, it's more of a sharp exhale from my nose. I have laughed quite a bit over the past few months. Not really something I kept track of. The most memorable time was when I was coming home from the Globe theatre with a friend, you can read about it here.

8. Stop complaining
Thinking back, I have stopped doing this so much. If I have an issue with something, I did deal with it, rather than constantly complaining. There is a difference between mentioning something once or twice, to consistently complaining and being a pain in everyone's butt.

9. Get up in the morning
Most of the time, but over the holidays I may have slipped up!

10. Live in the moment
Last year, this point combined to smaller points, but I didn't realise it at the time.
So to split up the two points:

  1. I am always going to wish it was the weekend, I am always going to count down the days, that isn't going to stop. 
  2. My second point was suggesting I should take control of my life. From January to September I didn't lift a finger. From September to now... well now I am a term into my A-levels, I know what I want to do at university, I know what university I want to go to, and I have a job. 

So overall, I did better than I thought I would, probably 5/10. Not too bad. This year, I haven't come up with one resolution. To me this year didn't feel like I was turning over a new leaf, I felt average. To be honest, this year I am going to try and keep my mental state up and stay positive. No, I am not going to be happy 100% of the time, but I am going to stop thinking in a pessimistic view. I am going to put myself first. 

I'm going to start uploading to Youtube again soon, so go subscribe!

Happy new year,

So this is Rachel, signing in, and signing out xxx



Share:

0 comments